Sunday, January 6, 2008

Think happy fucking thoughts...

OK, so I've been ranting on about how shitty work will be for the foreseeable future, but over the weekend I've been doing a lot of thinking, which, of course, has been precipitated by an alcoholic (Tuborg) haze.

I came out of the haze thinking that it's actually not that bad, compared with the other three proper jobs I have worked at in my lifetime:

For instance, when compared with Job no. 1 (sales order processing monkey in a family - not my family - owned business), at least my desk doesn't wobble, I am not sitting in a draught and I am not being bullied by a skanky piss-stinking illiterate. Yes, that's right, piss. Covered up with cheap and nasty perfume. Also I am not being talked down to by someone who got to be Financial Controller because their father was a director. This company was so fucking tight, that they wouldn't heat the offices and warehouse for a couple of hours on a Monday morning before everyone came to work. I spent many mornings hunched over my crappy 80s keyboard and a stack of order forms wearing a coat and two jumpers. I must have looked like Bob Cratchit with boobs. If the outline of my boobs could be seen under all those layers, that is. What a super introduction to the world of work.

Job no. 2 was tinged with serious crapness too. My boss was an utter c*nt. Someone who had been with the company for 20+ years, even the MD was scared of her. She was so awful, new girls would work there for a week, and then not show up the following Monday, or indeed, any other day. It was a great testimony to one's character (or idiocy, or complete apathy) to have worked there for longer than six months. I lasted three years. Well, the company itself was fine. The last eight months I spent there, I did not speak to her about anything other than work. Despite sharing an office with her. She just didn't like staff standing up to her when she was on a power trip (well, NOBODY shouts at ME!). At least my current boss is a very decent and normal person, even if mildly annoying at times.

No. 3 was my favourite job of all. I used to be able to sleep on the job. That's right, sleep. Sometimes in the employee break room, sometimes at my desk. I installed shitloads of games on the PC in the office, so I could amuse myself while looking busy. When there was work to do it was not taxing (Well, I wasn't working for Revenue). It was fucking brilliant. It was also my introduction to the civil service - as a clerical officer. The only disadvantages it had over my current role was the crap money and the fact that it was not, not ever, going to be a permanent arrangement. Once the "lifer" I was replacing came off sick leave, I was gone. But I got the EO before that happened.

So, to summarise, at least I have a permanent job, don't have a wagon for a boss, am not being bullied and the office doesn't have a Dickensian air about it.

Yeah, it's not so bad when put in perspective.

But I'll still have a moan about it. It's in my nature. If moaning was an Olympic sport, I would be a gold medallist. In the "audible at 100m", "audible at 500m" and "moaning while impaling someone on a javelin" categories.

No comments: