I decided to test it out at work. Given that the place is infested with COs it was a good place to do a trial run. And who knows, the noises might be mistaken for a fire drill and we could all go outside for a few minutes.
Well, bugger me sideways. Not even a peep out of the thing. And I had the batteries in properly and everything.
Furious, I brought the device back to the shop and marched up to the customer service desk demanding a refund.
Two days later I almost died from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning when a gas main in my neighbourhood sprung a leak.
Has anyone invented a detector for that yet?