Monday, March 31, 2008

Safety First

I bought a CO detector for my house the other day. I thought, isn't it wonderful nowadays, the things we can buy in our local Argos. Imagine they even have a device specially for management grade civil servants to protect their homes against unwanted incursions by clerical staff.

I decided to test it out at work. Given that the place is infested with COs it was a good place to do a trial run. And who knows, the noises might be mistaken for a fire drill and we could all go outside for a few minutes.

Well, bugger me sideways. Not even a peep out of the thing. And I had the batteries in properly and everything.

Furious, I brought the device back to the shop and marched up to the customer service desk demanding a refund.

Two days later I almost died from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning when a gas main in my neighbourhood sprung a leak.

Has anyone invented a detector for that yet?

No comments: