Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The First Civil Service Law of Physics

The work-related velocity of a middle manager is directly proportionate to the relative proximity of a senior manager.

Discovered this the other day. I never saw a HEO move so quickly as at the moment a senior manager entered the room.

The Second Civil Service Law of Physics governs the chain-reaction like activity which immediately follows the departure of the senior manager. Middle-manager energy is volatile due to their almost permanent state of inertia so must be diffused down the line as quickly as possible to prevent a dangerous explosion.

I also discovered this the other day, five minutes after my discovery of the first; I was approached by the HEO who said "I need this done, immediately!"

I'd write formulae for these except I'm utterly shit at physics.

No comments: