Monday, January 5, 2009

Feliz Ano!

Well, back in the land of the living again. I had a shit end to a shit year... a big dirty chest infection. It is just my feckin' luck, in a job with paid sick leave, to get sick on my feckin' holidays! (Not that I have ever regarded the sick leave as an adjunct to my annual leave. I'm far too principled for that.)

Back on form in time for New Year's Eve and some relatively sensible drinking thereon.

I must admit, I bounded through the Department's front doors this morning with enthusiasm. I waved a cheery "Happy New Year" to the reception staff. The enthusiasm continued as I swiped my card at the clock, hearing the familiar bleeping sound.

Before entering the section, I went to the bathrooms. I suffered a blow here, as I will always remember the first Department smell of 2009 as not that of brand new forms, or chocolate, or coffee, but that of things that fall out of people's arses. Gurrgh. Having washed my hands seventeen times and opened the door with my elbow, I continued my journey to the section. "What do I have to do today?", I mused to myself. I made a short mental list. First was sorting out clerical officers' timesheets for the festive season. Second was to see about organising a boring meeting which had come up at another meeting before Christmas. Third was.... third was.... PMDS! Fuckin' PMDS!

Oh God, it's that time of year again. Stupid forms, no private rooms, telling people off, massaging egos, uttering platitudes. And those stupid ratings, which are a fecking joke.

I pushed open the double doors to the section. In a mere couple of minutes, my face had gone from a ruddy January pink - via green (remember the toilets?) - to a morbid civil servant grey. I greeted those already present with a muttered "happy whatever", removed my coat and fired up the PC. Colleagues glanced at one another, knowing better than to ask.

I perked up once I got some coffee in me. It wasn't all bad.

Still, it's got to be better than 2008, though, right??

No comments: