Saturday, October 6, 2007

Overtime

There was a big write up in the papers last week about civil servants getting vast amounts of overtime pay. Apparently there was something in the region of fifty million in overtime paid out to these civil servants. Some of them earned even more than the public sector average earnings in overtime alone! (Public sector average earnings are available here, and are in no way an accurate representation of my salary, but then again I blame the fat cat Sec Gens and senior managers for skewing the figures.)

I want to set the record straight. Not once, in all my (admittedly short) career as a civil servant, have I earned overtime pay. Working in the private sector, earning not much above minimum wage, I embraced every "time and a half" hour I could get. Overtime just isn't available in my area, and I feel cheated.

I think these rich colleagues of mine should share the wealth. Guys, if you're reading this and have some to spare once your fridges are replete with champagne and caviar, my address is in the top right-hand corner of the page. Please give generously. The bank owns me.

----------------
Now playing: journey - Don't Stop Believin'
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

galwaywegian said...

A digout, eh? What a ludicrous idea!