Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Deaf? I don't think so!

A typical day in the Department. I am up to my elbows in paper. And then, the most unwelcome sound of all.

Extension 666, the direct line to Govstooge, rings.

"Bollocks", I say, before taking a deep breath and adopting my posh professional civil servant voice.

"Good afternoon. Govstooge speaking. How may I help you?"

A faint crackle and the distant sound of the Pussycat Dolls.

I sigh, and try again: "Good afternoon. Govstooge speaking. How may I help you?"

"Can you speak up?" comes the voice at the other line.

I take a deeper breath.
"Govstooge speaking. How may I help you?"

"I still can't hear you."

"CAN I HELP YOU?"

"Ah, that's better. Now just hold on until I turn this radio down."

(Goes off to turn down the radio, which is now blaring Lady GaGa.)

"Jaysus", I say.

People, eh? Hate 'em. Bunch of gits.

1 comment:

mazza said...

Gaaah!
I remember a similar situation where i was out walking one day and a retired teacher who taught me many moons ago was standing beside her car beckoning frantically at me. Thinking she maybe had a problem with her car door. I crossed the smallish but none the less busy road (the after mass rush as people who have heard the good news at mass rush to read the bad news - sunday newspapers)and stood uneasily there out near the middle of the road as she proceeded to question me about my career, siblings, their careers etc...